Where is Kangaroo Island?
Kangaroo Island is just 110 kilometres south of Adelaide, South Australia’s capital. It is 18 kilometres from the mainland town of Cape Jervis on the Fleurieu Peninsula.
Kangaroo Island sits at 35°S latitude which is the same latitude as Batemans Bay, NSW (south of Sydney).
Why should I visit Kangaroo Island?
There’s no better place in Australia to walk amongst wild populations of kangaroos, koalas, wallabies, penguins, goannas, echidnas and rare Australian sea lions. Kangaroo Island also has a flourishing produce industry, with stunning local wines, cheeses, honey, fish and meat products. And for pure spectacle, it’s hard to go past the scenic wonders of Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch, Seal Bay and the island’s pristine beaches. KI is a magical place where the experiences are genuine, not touristy or manufactured.
What’s the weather like on Kangaroo Island?
Kangaroo Island enjoys a temperate climate with warm-hot dry summers, comfortable springs and autumns, and cool, sometimes wet winters.
Are the locals friendly?
Kangaroo Island’s people are warm and engaging. In fact, on the roads you can spot the locals. They’re the ones who give you a wave as you pass.
How do I get to Kangaroo Island?
From Adelaide, Kangaroo Island is an easy 25-minute flight with REX (Regional Express) or a scenic 2.5 hour bus/ferry trip with Kangaroo Island SeaLink.
How much time should I spend on Kangaroo Island?
A one-day tour will give you a taste of what Kangaroo Island has to offer. However, as the island has so many scenic wonders, beaches, wildlife stops, wineries and cottage food industries spread across the island, we recommend two or three days, or even four or five to really do it justice.
What will I hope to see on Kangaroo Island?
- Seal Bay, home to a South Australian sea lion colony
- Remarkable Rocks and Admirals Arch
- Flourishing food, wine and produce industries
- Flinders Chase National Park
- Diverse Australian animals and birdlife
- Rugged coastal scenery
- Seasonal wildflowers
- A variety of native plant life
- Pristine island environment
- Clean beaches and waterways
- Farmlands of merino sheep and beef cattle
Where can I stay?
Visitors to Kangaroo Island are often surprised at the high standard of accommodation.
You’ll be able to choose from three tiers of accommodation at quality properties. Our partners include boutique Bed & Breakfast retreats, which we recommend for a quality, intimate experience; and hotel/motel accommodation for the more independent or budget conscious.
What accommodation options are available?
Standard - Includes standard hotel/motel accommodation at the Ozone Hotel or Kangaroo Island Seaside Inn at Kingscote, or the Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge at American River including continental breakfast.
Superior - Executive hotel/motel accommodation at the Ozone Hotel, Kingscote, Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge or Wanderer’s Rest of Kangaroo Island at American River, including full buffet breakfast.
Boutique Bed & Breakfast - Hosted Bed & Breakfast accommodation at Stranraer Homestead or The Lookout at Cuttlefish Bay including dinner and a full cooked breakfast.
What is included in a Kangaroo Island Odysseys tour?
Discover the authentic Kangaroo Island on a small group tour or even a private tour if required, in luxury air-conditioned 4-wheel drive (4x4) vehicles with a tour guide / driver for each vehicle.
- Specialist guides available e.g. ornithologist, zoologist, botanist, wildlife photographer
- Gourmet style picnic lunches with complimentary South Australian wine in a natural Australian bush setting surrounded by wildlife
- Morning or afternoon tea
- Accommodation as selected by you - standard, superior or bed & breakfast retreat
- Wildlife viewing experiences with time and flexibility allowed in the itinerary to suit interests of guests
- All airport and ferry terminal on-island transfers
- Entrance fees to national parks and private properties
Do you use the best guides / drivers & vehicles?
Kangaroo Island Odysseys employs the best professional, local guides who not only know and understand the island’s unique wildlife, food, wine and wonders, but also speak a range of languages including Italian, French, German, Spanish, Mandarin and Japanese.
Our fleet includes five new Mercedes Benz Sprinters 4x4 (maximum 8 guests), three modern Toyota Land cruiser 4x4 (maximum 4 guests) and custom built Isuzu 4x4 vehicles (maximum 12 guests). All are equipped with seat belts, air-conditioning, first aid kit and emergency communication devices. Our smaller groups are hosted by one driver/guide, while larger groups of 9-12 people are hosted by two driver/guides.
What are Kangaroo Island Odysseys’ pick up and drop off points?
We offer pick up services from Kingscote accommodation, Kingscote Airport and American River. We can also pick up from Penneshaw accommodation or the ferry terminal, however these services may incur a fee. Other locations are by arrangement or may require a private charter / transfer.
What are your group sizes?
Our tours can operate with two guests up to a maximum group size of 12.
Do Kangaroo Island Odysseys offer group bookings?
Yes, we specialise in private group touring and charters, from one to 48 people. Make an Adelaide-stopover a special event for your group by including Kangaroo Island in your itinerary. Please contact us for a group quote or further information.
Can a Kangaroo Island Odysseys' package be booked using this website?
The 1 Day Kangaroo Island Wildlife Discovery Tour - Ferry/Ferry and the 2 Day Highlights of Kangaroo Island Tour - Ferry/Ferry options are the only tours that can be booked online at this stage. We will, in the near future, have most of our tours bookable online. Please enquire about your desired tour using the enquiry form on each tour page.
What should I bring?
- Please travel light - luggage limit 15kg or overnight bag, (enquire at your Adelaide hotel about luggage storage).
- Your camera or video camera with spare batteries
- There’s no such thing as bad weather on KI, just inappropriate clothing, so be sure to bring comfortable walking shoes and clothing for outdoor activities, a warm jacket (even in summer, evenings can be cool), a rainproof jacket (essential in cooler months), wide brimmed hat or cap, sun protection and insect repellent. Umbrellas are unsuitable due to occasional windy conditions.
- Good sense of adventure and a thirst for knowledge (and our local wines)
How fit do I need to be?
You should be of reasonable health with a moderate level of fitness. Walks are not very demanding but are conducted over uneven surfaces, so please wear appropriate footwear. For guests in wheelchairs we recommend a private charter.
Can I bring children on tour?
We welcome families with children, although we recommend not bringing children under the age of 7 on an escorted 4x4 tour. Please let us know your children’s ages at time of booking. We will provide appropriate child or booster seats if needed. For child rates, please contact us. If touring with children under 3 years of age, you will be required to book a private charter.
Where can I find out more about Kangaroo Island?
These websites are excellent resources for Kangaroo Island:
- SeaLink Kangaroo Island - Kangaroo Island's largest tourism operator, offering loads of information about Kangaroo Island.
- Authentic Kangaroo Island – all the latest news and info on exhibitions, food, wine and more.
- Tourism Kangaroo Island - the official tourism information website of Kangaroo Island.
- South Australian Tourism Commission - the official tourism website for South Australia.
- National Parks South Australia - the official website for National Parks in South Australia.